Since 1921 Mercedes-Benz Toorak Has Lead the Way
When the First World War finished in 1921, Mr. E. J. (Ted) Worrell founded the business in premises beside the Toorak Hotel, trading under the name of Albury & Worrell. New car franchises held were the famous Italian and British makes Lancia, Hispano Suize and Talbot.
In 1932, the Great Depression forced the virtual closure of the business as it was known. Mr. Worrell moved to Carters Avenue to continue servicing local customers’ cars at a site which was previously a stable with a cobblestone floor (now the Mercedes-Benz Toorak showroom).
In 1943 Mr. John Worrell joined as an apprentice mechanic, where he remained throughout his entire working life. Over the next 20 years, the business grew rapidly. In 1953, the VW franchise was acquired and in 1963 Mr. Karl Hagen became a partner in the business (the workshop then employed 24 mechanics).
Significantly, the Mercedes-Benz Service franchise was first awarded to Worrells in 1969 followed by Sales in 1971, when a new workshop was built. In 1973, the Used Car yard was acquired by exchanging titles on a house in North Balwyn.
In the mid 1970’s, the commitment to service growing customers’ needs was recognised when a building to commence a paint and panel repair shop was acquired in Church Street, Richmond and then relocated to High Street, Prahran. More recently, the paint and panel facility was replaced by Mercedes-Benz Autobody, a brand new state-of-the-art facility at Wharf Road, Port Melbourne.
In 2004, after 61 successful years in the business, Mr. John Worrell and Mr. Karl Hagan decided to retire. The year marked another momentous change in the history of Worrells. The business was sold to DaimlerChrysler Australia/Pacific Pty Ltd - guaranteeing the future and development of Worrells for staff and customers.
On Friday 12 June 2009, Worrells was renamed to Mercedes-Benz Toorak by President and CEO of Mercedes-Benz Australia/Pacific. 2012 brought more exciting changes, with Mercedes-Benz Toorak Service & Parts and Pre-Owned vehicle sales moving from Toorak to 29 Madden Grove in Richmond. The move came as a welcome change with the spacious high-end facility ensuring our customers receive a service that is second to none.
In late 2013 we transformed the Mercedes-Benz Toorak showroom, undergoing major renovations, to create a state-of-the-art facility. Our showroom at 11 Carters Avenue now showcases more of our Mercedes-Benz new model vehicles includes a dedicated AMG showroom and customer car park for your convenience.